Thursday, October 15, 2009

Last gasp of Summer.

Last weekend Suz and I climbed up local landmark Heart Mt. From the Trans Canada, the name seems fairly arbitrary since it's wonderful shape can't really be seen. This picture is taken on the north side of the valley close to Exshaw just east of Canmore.






From the valley, the northwest ridge looks pretty intimidating but when it's right in front of you, the footholds and handholds appear much more forgiving. In the two pictures below I'm appreciating my new Vasque boots while I pick my way up a tricky section.






















About two-thirds to the top is a shear face that tests the nerves a little though more so on the downclimb. Suz had no problem getting up first and then offering good advice while I struggled up. On our way down, I downclimbed this section more easily and helped Suz out returning the favour.




I was quite pleased not just with the view but with our accomplishment as well. While Heart Mt is considered an easy to moderate scramble, it is a good test of my shoulder mobility. It was exciting to do a climb that relied more on hand holds. There are many mental blocks for me still to put my shoulder in a vulnerable position in spite of it's strength. Our success here went a long way towards putting those fears in perspective.




Suz grabs a bite at the summit (7005ft) and enjoys that last hurrah of the season. Grotto Mt and the Bow river are seen in the background. Round trip time was six hours.

2 comments:

captainorange said...

Looks like a great climb.

I suppose it is all too tempting to start trusting that shoulder. The specter of joint failure in such situations must be omnipresent.

Kevin Aschim said...

I have been wondering about the term 'gasp' of late and have been on extra alert hoping to pick up the tell tale sound.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall definatively hearing the sounds of what I would term to be a gasp.

I have also tried to practise gasping but cannot land on what the sound should be.

Once I have perfected the sound of a gasp, then the trick is to remember to utter it at appropriate moments. This will be the second challenge.