Monday, March 02, 2009

Thanks for eroding freedom, Lou Dobbs.














The letter I got today from the Lou Dobbs show really was a nice touch. Of course if they had actually read my letter I'm sure they would have sent me their Haters form letter instead. The other day Lou was heroically defending the right to bear arms from the Liberal Menace. "Freedom Under Fire" the segment read. Normally I wouldn't give Lou's show the time of day but instead I watched and wrote a short letter inviting the show to contemplate the 100 billion dollars a year that gun deaths and injuries cause every year in America.
I thought if senseless death doesn't cause one to rethink "freedom under fire," then money might. But just to be sure, I sent some gun stats:

Since 1962, more than one million Americans have died in firearm homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings. Handguns were used in more than 650,000 of these fatal shootings.

In homes with guns, a member of the household is almost three times as likely to be the victim of a homicide compared to gun-free homes.
-from VPC

Why write a letter to the show? Well to celebrate QNY19 this week I thought I would either dig a hole to China or bring reason to the internet.

1 comment:

rainswept said...

Automated email responses are annoying, patronizing and disrespectful. And they draw attention to subsequent absence of an actual reply.

Sometimes automating a task is not really doing the task at all.